My Readings

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Our Lady of Babylon (John Rechy)

Ok, I tried to read this book. I didn't make it very far, but I read enough to get a sense of the tone and the direction of the book. It was just ridiculous, and I couldn't accept what it was trying to tell me. I was initially intrigued by the blurb because I thought it would be an interesting novel that would tie together stories of the many truly whorish women throughout history and mythology...instead it is a spineless revisioning of women who were "wrongfully blamed" by men. Thus, all potential human interest I could have had for these characters is killed. No one is innocent, except maybe boring people, and why read about boring people? Somehow I had a hard time accepting that Jesus, Judas, and Mary Magdalene were a sexually intimate threesome. Behind every description of sex, I felt the disgustingly gratuitous sexuality of a gay author who really should not be writing about heterosexual women. But maybe I'm being unfair. After all, I didn't read the whole book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home